I began reading Home Learning Year by Year among other self help homeschooling books.

I am so excited, because for once I feel that I can teach her what is "expected" by grade.

We are currently working on a Kindergarten Curriculum and I have been "supplementing" with Math, Science and Social Studies that is applicable to her age.

I have realized that we are already working on some of the recommended items. Now I feel confident as to when I need to add the materials that we need to learn.

I like to share with you what I have found and I encourage you to pick up a copy of this book for yourself.

Language Arts: I want to review the DOLCH Word List. This list is categorized by grade and is age appropriate. The sight words in this list do not follow the logical rules of phonics and need to be memorized. For example; an, and, I, we, is, it, and said.

Handwriting: There are a few recommended programs available. One that has been recommended to me by other HSM's and now by this book is "Handwriting Without Tears". I will check it out and see if is suitable for us.

Life Science: Beginning zoology. Material to cover animal families. I also want to cover the human body; knowing the five senses.

Art: I want to explore "How to use child-size materpiece for art appreciation." This is an art appreciation program using post card reproductions of famous paintings.

I still need to add this material in a time line supplementing our current curriculum. Without adding more time of sitting down learning to our day.

I want my girl to be able to enjoy nature more with out having to constrict her to academic-only learning.

Homeschooling is a learning process for both parent and child. But at least, I am beginning to feel more confident in "what I am doing".

Have a blessed week.


0 blessings:

Newer Post Older Post Home